HALO movie?
Gas Bag
2008-05-11 03:25:56 UTC
I’ve seen a number of HALO movie clips on YouTube:

Those are just a few of them. Is HALO actually going to be released as
a movie? The clips I’ve seen show actual movie footage, not animated
clips.
Jordan
2008-05-11 05:18:45 UTC
Post by Gas Bag
Those are just a few of them. Is HALO actually going to be released as
a movie? The clips I’ve seen show actual movie footage, not animated
clips.
The funding for the film got pulled when they insisted a first time
director take the helm of a $50 million + project.

- Jordan
Tom
2008-05-11 11:54:02 UTC
Post by Gas Bag
Those are just a few of them. Is HALO actually going to be released as
a movie? The clips I’ve seen show actual movie footage, not animated
clips.
The funding for the film got pulled when they insisted a first time
director take the helm of a $50 million + project.

- Jordan

MS wanting a bigger slice of the pie while adding little money of their own
to the movie is what probably killed it. Fox/Universal pulled out because MS
insisted upfront (what else is new) they get (rumored) 10-15% of the gross
tickets sales at the theatres. A new director had nothing to do with it
(Peter Jackson is still wanting to produce it).. The movie is probably dead
as it was slated for release this year. The news article below is what I
could find to be the latest.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174687

MS "already in talks" to continue Halo film
Monday 29-Oct-2007 3:06 PM Preparation work is continuing on Peter Jackson's
Halo film, says representative

"Following a swift withdrawal by film studios Fox and Universal, Microsoft
is already in talks with other distribution projects to continue development
of the Halo film, says Peter Jackson's representative Ken Kamins.

Prep work on the Halo film continues, Kamins tells Variety, mostly thanks to
the involvement of exec producers Jackson and Walsh. Most of the
pre-production is being done at their visual effects studios in New Zealand,
Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, so there will be no stalling.

Both of the studios who backed the flick abruptly pulled out. Rumours say
the studios were concerned over a budget rising above $135 million, but
Kamins says disputes came after Fox and Universal tried to lower Microsoft's
profit margines.

"What happened was this: Universal, on behalf of both studios, asked for a
meeting with the filmmakers just prior to the due date of a significant
payment," says Kamins.

"Basically, they said that in order to move forward with the film, the
filmmakers had to significantly reduce their deals. They waited until the
last minute to have this conversation. Peter and Fran, after speaking with
their producing partners and with Microsoft and Bungie, respectfully
declined."

Speculation also centred around the Halo film's newcomer director Neill
Blomkamp, who's already filmed several Halo 3 shorts.

"Everybody is supremely confident in Neal," Kamins said. "Part of what
excited Peter and Fran was Neal's vision. We're very confident this film
will move forward with the creative partners intact, who will take the film
to production."

The Halo shorts looked bloody great to us, and who knows; maybe they'll help
the Microsoft's flick actually come to life this time. It'd be a shame to
waste those real life Warthogs."