Halo Reach multiplayer improvements
Jonah Falcon
2010-03-19 15:15:46 UTC
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865

A laundry list of what they intend to do with the matchmaking and stuff in
Halo Reach's MP.
The alMIGHTY N
2010-03-19 20:29:29 UTC
Post by Jonah Falcon
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865
A laundry list of what they intend to do with the matchmaking and stuff in
Halo Reach's MP.
Looking good... Halo: Reach is looking to be, like Halo: ODST was last
year, the game that Halo 3 *should* have been.
Gareth
2010-03-19 21:36:09 UTC
Post by Jonah Falcon
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865
A laundry list of what they intend to do with the matchmaking and stuff
in Halo Reach's MP.
Looks good.

So what exactly is the deal with the Reach multiplayer beta - do you
just stick the ODST disk in on May the whatever and it's there to
download? Or what?
Jonah Falcon
2010-03-19 22:00:10 UTC
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865
A laundry list of what they intend to do with the matchmaking and stuff
in Halo Reach's MP.
Looks good.
So what exactly is the deal with the Reach multiplayer beta - do you just
stick the ODST disk in on May the whatever and it's there to download? Or
what?
Remember Crackdown and the Halo 3 MP beta? Same deal. Must have the disc in
the drive to play.
Gareth
2010-03-19 22:51:09 UTC
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865
A laundry list of what they intend to do with the matchmaking and
stuff in Halo Reach's MP.
Looks good.
So what exactly is the deal with the Reach multiplayer beta - do you
just stick the ODST disk in on May the whatever and it's there to
download? Or what?
Remember Crackdown and the Halo 3 MP beta? Same deal. Must have the disc
in the drive to play.
I don't, sorry, I didn't have a 360 at the time (got one just before
Halo 3 came out in fact). So is it a download or what?
Jonah Falcon
It's a download, but you have to have the disc in.
Gareth
2010-03-21 14:18:46 UTC
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865
A laundry list of what they intend to do with the matchmaking and
stuff in Halo Reach's MP.
Looks good.
So what exactly is the deal with the Reach multiplayer beta - do you
just stick the ODST disk in on May the whatever and it's there to
download? Or what?
Remember Crackdown and the Halo 3 MP beta? Same deal. Must have the
disc in the drive to play.
I don't, sorry, I didn't have a 360 at the time (got one just before
Halo 3 came out in fact). So is it a download or what?
It's a download, but you have to have the disc in.
Gotcha, thanks. I figured you'd need the disc in not only to unlock it,
but also every time you played.... but wasn't sure if all the code
required to play was already on the disc (seemed unlikely given when
ODST was released I know, but it wasn't clear).
Jonah Falcon
2010-03-21 23:52:17 UTC
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
[...]
Oh, the code IS on the disc, but you use it to get the download, and then to
unlock it.
The alMIGHTY N
If the game code is on the disc, why would you need to download it?
AGENT47
2010-03-22 15:18:40 UTC
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
[...]
If the game code is on the disc, why would you need to download it?- Hide quoted text -
the code is on the disc but not REACH game content you still need to
download the REACH beta maps and stuff

you just need the ODST disc to prove you purchased ODST it was one of
the perks for buying ODST "exclusive access to REACH beta"

of course some will just go rent ODST when the beta is out

although I'm still not sure you might need ODST disc to access the
beta everytime you wanna play it

it could be one of the menu options when the beta comes out
The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)
2010-03-22 16:02:31 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
[...]
I'm skeptical that even the game code is on the disc. Wouldn't they
want the ability to update the game code up until the moment before
the beta's launch?

If I recall correctly, the Halo 3 beta code wasn't actually on the
Crackdown disc.
AGENT47
2010-03-22 18:24:07 UTC
On Mar 22, 12:02 pm, "The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"
Post by The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)
Post by AGENT47
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
Post by Gareth
Post by Jonah Falcon
[...]
Crackdown disc.- Hide quoted text -
I meant the 'key'

Gareth
2010-03-22 15:33:29 UTC
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by Jonah Falcon
Oh, the code IS on the disc, but you use it to get the download, and then to
unlock it.
If the game code is on the disc, why would you need to download it?
Some confusion over what I meant by "the code"... I was referring to the
actual game itself, rather than the "code" to unlock the download.

I understand now that the ODST disk doesn't contain the actual Reach
game code itself, just a code or key that gives access to download the
actual game code, and the same key is needed to play each time, so you
need the ODST disk in the drive.
The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)
2010-03-22 16:03:26 UTC
Post by Gareth
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by Jonah Falcon
Oh, the code IS on the disc, but you use it to get the download, and then to
unlock it.
If the game code is on the disc, why would you need to download it?
Some confusion over what I meant by "the code"... I was referring to the
actual game itself, rather than the "code" to unlock the download.
I understand now that the ODST disk doesn't contain the actual Reach
game code itself, just a code or key that gives access to download the
actual game code, and the same key is needed to play each time, so you
need the ODST disk in the drive.
That's exactly how I interpreted your question and exactly how I think
it works. I can also see how Jonah may have misinterpreted "the code"
to mean "the beta key."
Gareth
2010-03-22 17:00:25 UTC
Post by Gareth
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by Jonah Falcon
Oh, the code IS on the disc, but you use it to get the download, and then to
unlock it.
If the game code is on the disc, why would you need to download it?
Some confusion over what I meant by "the code"... I was referring to the
actual game itself, rather than the "code" to unlock the download.
I understand now that the ODST disk doesn't contain the actual Reach
game code itself, just a code or key that gives access to download the
actual game code, and the same key is needed to play each time, so you
need the ODST disk in the drive.
That's exactly how I interpreted your question and exactly how I think
it works. I can also see how Jonah may have misinterpreted "the code"
to mean "the beta key."
Yup, me too, in hindsight. All clear now though!