Halo: Reach "The Battle Begins" trailer
Jonah Falcon
2010-07-29 18:05:44 UTC
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/29/halo-reach-the-battle-begins-trailer/

Oh, FUCK yes.

Especially after seeing the Forge World video.

http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/23/comic-con-10-halo-reach-forge-world-vidoc/
Mark Johnson
2010-07-29 23:26:48 UTC
Post by Jonah Falcon
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/29/halo-reach-the-battle-begins-trailer/
Oh, FUCK yes.
Especially after seeing the Forge World video.
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/23/comic-con-10-halo-reach-forge-world-vidoc/
Sorry, but it looks average at best. Then again Halo has always been
about gameplay first
Nick Soapdish, Jr.
2010-07-29 23:49:57 UTC
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/29/halo-reach-the-battle-begins-tra...
Oh, FUCK yes.
Especially after seeing the Forge World video.
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/23/comic-con-10-halo-reach-forge-wo...
Mostly cutscenes, although still a lot better than the "Birth of a
Spartan" trailer. Graphics don't look incredible, but space combat is
a good addition. Hopefully this was approached from the get-go as a
full game, unlike ODST. At this point, it doesn't feel like anything
to anticipate as the end-all, be-all of FPS gaming unless you're still
a huge fan of the series, or just a fanboy who'd go gaga over anything
with Halo and Microsoft slapped on the box (and this is coming from
someone who loved Halo: CE, and even liked Halo 3, despite being a bit
disappointed by it overall).

I'll probably pick it up unless there's enough negative review action
going on; it still looks leagues better than that "river rafting"
Kinect game that Jonah wrongly (as usual) claimed didn't exist, and
there's still room for the franchise in my heart, despite the woeful
overexposure it's suffered.
Eman
2010-07-30 12:41:31 UTC
Reach is the Halo game that I've been waiting for, for a long time.
Forge World is what I was hoping Forge would be in Halo 3. Its
impressive, but still not to the point where I would be able to never
have to buy another map pack again. They've finally introduced armor
abilities and from what I've seen from the beta, it creates a much
more dynamic multiplayer experience and new tactics.

I'm not eagerly waiting for it, but if I past buy a BB on launch day,
I'll probably pick it up. I need an excuse to keep playing Halo, I
have a sister in-law who's boyfriend is a Halo nut. I'm ok with him
whooping my ass in MP, but I'll be damned if I get so sucky that I'll
let her beat me.
AGENT47
2010-07-31 23:41:18 UTC
Post by Eman
Reach is the Halo game that I've been waiting for, for a long time.
Forge World is what I was hoping Forge would be in Halo 3.  Its
impressive, but still not to the point where I would be able to never
have to buy another map pack again.  They've finally introduced armor
abilities and from what I've seen from the beta, it creates a much
more dynamic multiplayer experience and new tactics.
I'm not eagerly waiting for it, but if I past buy a BB on launch day,
I'll probably pick it up.  I need an excuse to keep playing Halo, I
have a sister in-law who's boyfriend is a Halo nut.  I'm ok with him
whooping my ass in MP, but I'll be damned if I get so sucky that I'll
let her beat me.
Forge will probably give this game some serious long legs, more than
the typical forge of past.

Plus they FINALLY added "matchmaking" for firefight, I can see myself
playing that for a long time, as now you can fully customize the type
and amount of enemies you face as well as the type of skull modifiers.

So you could have quick co-op FF that lasts 10min or 10 hours
Eman
2010-08-01 14:03:44 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Forge will probably give this game some serious long legs, more than
the typical forge of past.
Plus they FINALLY added "matchmaking" for firefight, I can see myself
playing that for a long time, as now you can fully customize the type
and amount of enemies you face as well as the type of skull modifiers.
So you could have quick co-op FF that lasts 10min or 10 hours
I'm just getting leary of developers that do this. Hype up a feature
of a game, only to deliver a 1/4 of what the hype indicated (Forge
1.0, 2.0 is cool, but still not as far as they could go) or offer a
new game mode only to completely ruin it's implementation (no
matchmaking in Firefight). But now, we'll fix everything in Reach,
really! Just $60 please.
AGENT47
2010-08-02 11:39:24 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Forge will probably give this game some serious long legs, more than
the typical forge of past.
Plus they FINALLY added "matchmaking" for firefight, I can see myself
playing that for a long time, as now you can fully customize the type
and amount of enemies you face as well as the type of skull modifiers.
So you could have quick co-op FF that lasts 10min or 10 hours
I'm just getting leary of developers that do this.  Hype up a feature
of a game, only to deliver a 1/4 of what the hype indicated (Forge
1.0, 2.0 is cool, but still not as far as they could go) or offer a
new game mode only to completely ruin it's implementation (no
matchmaking in Firefight).  But now, we'll fix everything in Reach,
really!  Just $60 please.
I paid $35 for ODST delivered to my door day one and I never purchased
any of the maps from Halo3.

This day and age if you're paying $60 for a new release you're not
using google skills and/or not waiting a couple days for a sale.
Eman
2010-08-02 12:22:47 UTC
Post by AGENT47
I paid $35 for ODST delivered to my door day one and I never purchased
any of the maps from Halo3.
This day and age if you're paying $60 for a new release you're not
using google skills and/or not waiting a couple days for a sale.- Hide quoted text -
And because we can find "deals" on the internet we should give
developers/publishers a free pass on rehashing old content? Does this
change how you rate a game? If you get a really crappy game for $40
vs. $60 does your 2 star rating turn to a 5 star rating? Does that
make it OK for them to leave out obvious features? So if you rent a
really shitty game, it must pass off as atleast a 3 star game. For
$60 it sucks, but as a rental it was AWESOME?

Personally I judge games based on the MSRP. That is what the
developer/publisher has deemed as a fair value for the content they
are offering. So MS/Bungie has asked players to pony up $180 for Halo
3 and two expansion packs. Reach appears to be much more of full game
experience, but we'll know for sure in September.
AGENT47
2010-08-04 04:52:27 UTC
Post by Eman
Post by AGENT47
[...]
Well since I didn't buy one single map pack for Halo3 , getting them
all in ODST for $35 was a bargain for me.

I enjoyed ODST campaign I thought it was the best campaign of all
Halo's. I tend to find deals on all new games these days and get
tired of the "OMG GOLD is $50 a year I hate MS" or "OMG I hate X game
because it sells for $60

N64 games used to top $80 back in the day

I've never paid $50 for 12 months of GOLD, you can on a regular basis
find it for$30-40 for subscriptions.

So what if it's $60 , the smart people know they can get it for $30-40
a couple days after release or even on day one if you use google.
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-04 14:31:50 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by AGENT47
[...]
i.e. You want to play the game on day one very badly. i.e. You're a
ten year old kid.
AGENT47
2010-08-04 14:49:21 UTC
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by AGENT47
Post by AGENT47
[...]
ten year old kid.- Hide quoted text -
Or your a gamer that likes video games and likes the platform that's
in the title of this newsgroup
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-06 15:38:00 UTC
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by AGENT47
Post by AGENT47
[...]
It's a pretty safe assumption that if you're part of the set of people
that buys video games, you're a gamer that likes video games.

However, if you're part of the subset of people that pays $60 for a
new release at launch, it's also likely that you're someone who has to
have the game on day one, which to me sounds like a little kid.
AGENT47
2010-08-06 18:01:03 UTC
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by AGENT47
Post by AGENT47
[...]
have the game on day one, which to me sounds like a little kid.- Hide quoted text -
No I usually rent games first or buy them on pre-order if they're on
sale. I don't have to have a game on day one.

Heck I only recently just played RDR and I only rented it
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-09 17:04:14 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by AGENT47
Post by AGENT47
[...]
Just in case we're not on the same wavelength... every time I wrote
"you" I didn't mean *you* specifically but "you" as in some general
person.

Nick Soapdish, Jr.
2010-08-02 23:30:48 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Forge will probably give this game some serious long legs, more than
the typical forge of past.
Plus they FINALLY added "matchmaking" for firefight, I can see myself
playing that for a long time, as now you can fully customize the type
and amount of enemies you face as well as the type of skull modifiers.
So you could have quick co-op FF that lasts 10min or 10 hours
I'm just getting leary of developers that do this.  Hype up a feature
of a game, only to deliver a 1/4 of what the hype indicated (Forge
1.0, 2.0 is cool, but still not as far as they could go) or offer a
new game mode only to completely ruin it's implementation (no
matchmaking in Firefight).  But now, we'll fix everything in Reach,
really!  Just $60 please.
One feature that a lot of people have been asking for since the Halo 2
pre-release period, that Bungie for whatever reason seems dead set on
ignoring, is having bots for the MP modes. For those who don't want
to deal with tea-bagging kiddies, but get their money's worth out of
the game, or those who just want to be able to practice on their own
before dealing with live opponents, Bungie's stubborn insistence on
giving the finger to this request is frustrating. It's been 9 years
since the original, Bungie.........if Epic can do it with Gears 2, why
not Halo?
Smitzor
2010-08-03 03:40:53 UTC
Post by AGENT47
[...]

I concur. Not everyone actually has (or wants) a Live account. Look at how
well it worked for Perfect Dark. You can give the bots just about any
attribute that a normal user would have and then some. From being a rocket
whore to a camping douche, it reminded me of the fun I had with Quake Arena.

Has this really been addressed by Bungie devs?
Eman
2010-08-03 16:13:45 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
Has this really been addressed by Bungie devs?- Hide quoted text -
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that MS is behind the fact that
Bungie has never added bots. Halo is not only a system seller, it is
also the XBL seller. It's fabulus MP can ONLY be experienced on LIVE.
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-03 18:20:12 UTC
Post by Eman
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
I wouldn't be surprised there. It's a smart move by Microsoft if it is
indeed intentional. It sucks for those of us who have no interest in
dealing with the stereotypical ten-year-old Xbox Live gamer, but for
Microsoft it's money in the bank.
AGENT47
2010-08-04 04:54:21 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
not Halo?- Hide quoted text -
HALO3 ODST has bots

Firefight has bots and can be played in single player.

It's tougher than the MP and when you get up into the higher levels
and the skulls start turning on it gets brutaly hard.
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-04 14:34:04 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
I didn't realize that Firefight had bots. Crap. I gave up on that
because I was playing Firefight by myself and constantly getting
overwhelmed a few waves in by packs of Brutes with those giant
hammers.
Nick Soapdish, Jr.
2010-08-04 23:37:15 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
and the skulls start turning on it gets brutaly hard.- Hide quoted text -
I was talking about bots in the "classic" multiplayer modes.

While some people bag on Gears of War 2, I laud Epic for making it so
that both single player and multiplayer oriented gamers don't feel
short-changed. Bots for multiplayer, horde playable by 1 player or as
a multiplayer game, and a campaign mode with co-op. This means that
no matter what your preference, you'll get to play all 3 main modes in
some manner.
AGENT47
2010-08-05 19:33:25 UTC
Like I was saying games are always on sale even before release

$44.99 pre-order REACH

newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103144&cm_re=halo_reach_xbox_360-_-74-103-144-_-Product

Halo: Reach Xbox 360 Game Microsoft
Item #: N82E16874103144
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$15.00 Instant
$59.99

Grand Total:* $44.99
Eman
2010-08-06 15:28:28 UTC
Only $45?!?! Shit, my expectations are 25% lower now....
AGENT47
2010-08-05 19:42:39 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
some manner.- Hide quoted text -
yeah that's fun for about a week then it gets old, unless the bots are
more dynamic like in L4D1-2 but even that gets boring solo

hearing another person and talking to them about daily life is much
more interesting and fun while killing zombies than playing solo in
deathmatch against bots

UT3 had bots as well while it was fun to practice with them they still
paled in comparison to actual human players who made up matches like
"shotguns only" or in RSV we would do pistols only etc.

Humans> always trump bots

I respect your desire for bots though

BTW I don't know how long the newegg sale is for , so if you plan on
getting a copy of REACH it's only $45 right now at newegg for pre-
order
Nick Soapdish, Jr.
2010-08-05 23:40:14 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
order- Hide quoted text -
Obviously humans will always be better than bots (unless they're the
trash-talkin', 12 year old, annoying kind of humans, in which case the
predictability of bots is outweighed by the lack of
annoyance).......but it's better than having half the game rendered
useless if you don't want to (or can't) play online, or when the
online community for a game dies off. I mean, I can't find a single
workable online game of Ace Combat 6, for f#$@#k's sake.
AGENT47
2010-08-06 08:06:59 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
REACH has "mute bans" now .

If a certain player is annoying to allot of gamers he will get a mute
ban whenever he joins MP so you don't even have to mute them yourself.

I'm not sure how long it will last but at least it's a step to try and
curb the whiney kids who sound like a 5 yr old girl on a sugar high
watching Beiber videos.

They've also implemented "rage quit" time outs and "team killing"
bans, if a player constantly rage quits in a losing game or team kills
all the time or otherwise is annoying the hell out of everyone, they
will labeled as such and will be timed out of certain matches up to
15min+

So they can't even rejoin the match and continue there juvenile tirade
for another 15minutes, hopefully that will give them time to rethink
their MP habits in the future.

It's basically a system of "Hey look kids stop acting like idiots
online and ruin the fun for us adults"

It's kind of an experiment on Bungie's part, but I'm kind of anxious
to see how well it works, they are believe it or not listening to
complaints from adult gamers and trying to improve the "whiny kid"
scenario.

I personally believe if you have a tone of authority on the mic kids
will respect you, and when you get a annoying one either laugh off
their stupid antics or hit the mute button.

In my experience they give up and or chill out and realize you don't
react to their BS in any form.

Of course the best form of trash talk is to just win the match or
kill them constantly, they'll get the hint that you're a good player
and STFU eventually.
AGENT47
2010-08-06 08:19:53 UTC
Some deals I found on pre-orders

Dead Rising 2 - $47.99 newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16874129015

Mafia 2 $49.90 gogamer.com

http://www.gogamer.com/Mafia-II-for-XBox-360-Front-Page_stcVVproductId97219039VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Mafia 2 -$60 with $10 credit amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Mafia-II-Xbox-360/dp/B000ZK698C/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281082701&sr=1-2
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-06 15:44:59 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
LOL

That's *awesome*
Post by AGENT47
I'm not sure how long it will last but at least it's a step to try and
curb the whiney kids who sound like a 5 yr old girl on a sugar high
watching Beiber videos.
They've also implemented "rage quit" time outs and "team killing"
bans, if a player constantly rage quits in a losing game or team kills
all the time or otherwise is annoying the hell out of everyone, they
will labeled as such and will be timed out of certain matches up to
15min+
Again, *awesome*
Post by AGENT47
So they can't even rejoin the match and continue there juvenile tirade
for another 15minutes, hopefully that will give them time to rethink
their MP habits in the future.
It's basically a system of "Hey look kids stop acting like idiots
online and ruin the fun for us adults"
It's kind of an experiment on Bungie's part, but I'm kind of anxious
to see how well it works, they are believe it or not listening to
complaints from adult gamers and trying to improve the "whiny kid"
scenario.
I personally believe if you have a tone of authority on the mic kids
will respect you, and when you get a annoying one either laugh off
their stupid antics or hit the mute button.
That hasn't been my admittedly limited experience. Most of the time
that I had to play with kids, they would get even more bold if you
showed they were getting to you. The anonymity of the Internet enables
people.
Post by AGENT47
In my experience they give up and or chill out and realize you don't
react to their BS in any form.
There are millions of adults wishing they played with the same kids
you did. :-)
Testify!
AGENT47
2010-08-06 18:06:15 UTC
Post by The alMIGHTY N
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by AGENT47
Of course the best form of trash talk is to just win the match or
kill  them constantly, they'll get the hint that you're a good player
and STFU eventually.
Testify!- Hide quoted text -
But you see my point is you DO NOT let them know it bothers you that's
what I'm saying.

Of course if you show them that it bothers you that's what drives
them, they will only feed on you getting mad,which is why if you just
laugh it off and not get mad they will understand you really don't
give a shit.

If I hit a brick wall with a kid I either insta-mute or find another
lobby I usually can tell pretty quick if a kid is gonna be annoying
it's a quick kick out vote or I'll just leave the room.

Usually the mute button is enough though
khee mao

Amazon has Reach for $60 with a $20 giftcard...
AGENT47
2010-08-06 07:50:13 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
Amazon has Reach for $60 with a $20 giftcard...- Hide quoted text -
Oh that's even better if you plan on buying from Amazon again
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-06 15:42:04 UTC
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
I don't know about that. If I personally knew that person, I'd chat
with them but even then most of the time my attention would be
entirely focused on the game at hand.
Post by AGENT47
UT3 had bots as well while it was fun to practice with them they still
paled in comparison to actual human players who made up matches like
"shotguns only" or in RSV we would do pistols only etc.
If you like playing with other people, I'm sure humans are far more
interesting to have as partners than bots. However, many people have
no interest in playing online so bots are far more important to them.
Post by AGENT47
Humans> always trump bots
*GOOD* humans always trump bots. If I just want to get through a
multiplayer campaign to be able to know that I played it, people who
suck at playing aren't going to be of much use to me. :-)
Post by AGENT47
I respect your desire for bots though
BTW I don't know how long the newegg sale is for , so if you plan on
getting a copy of REACH it's only $45 right now at newegg for pre-
order
I'd be surprised if Halo Reach isn't $45 several times after it
launches...
AGENT47
2010-08-04 04:55:27 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
Post by AGENT47
[...]
ODST HALO3 has bots in Firefight granted it's not human based bots
like Master Chief, but it's the same concept and difficulty.
Trevor Smithson
2010-08-03 03:57:26 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/29/halo-reach-the-battle-begins-tra...
Oh, FUCK yes.
Especially after seeing the Forge World video.
http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/07/23/comic-con-10-halo-reach-forge-wo...
Mostly cutscenes, although still a lot better than the "Birth of a
Spartan" trailer. Graphics don't look incredible, but space combat is
a good addition. Hopefully this was approached from the get-go as a
full game, unlike ODST. At this point, it doesn't feel like anything
to anticipate as the end-all, be-all of FPS gaming unless you're still
a huge fan of the series, or just a fanboy who'd go gaga over anything
with Halo and Microsoft slapped on the box (and this is coming from
someone who loved Halo: CE, and even liked Halo 3, despite being a bit
disappointed by it overall).
There's just been too much Halo. The previous 3-year cycle was dumped for ODST,
and that's going to hurt Reach. Plus Reach being a prequel instead of a continuation of
the Halo 3 storyline won't help matters.

It'll do great business, but won't be a phenomenon-level game.
The alMIGHTY N
2010-08-03 14:48:50 UTC
Post by Nick Soapdish, Jr.
[...]
I don't think the chronology of the story will make much of a
difference seeing as how the majority of people who purchased Halo 3
ultimately did so to play online. As long as the multiplayer mode is
as fun or better than Halo 3's, the game should do just fine.
It'll do great business, but won't be a phenomenon-level game.
It won't sell as well as Halo 3 did, that's for sure.
jessica_smith_nyc
2010-08-06 00:35:11 UTC
Is this an online co-op game also?

--